Do you have a selection in the clipboard when you create the new image?
If so, the GIMP uses the selection size for a new image by default.
There may be a way to alter this, but in 1.2.3, it is not in the
preferences menu.  As a workaround, you could try creating the image
before you cut/copy something to paste into it, but then how does one
clear the clipboard buffer?  I don't really know.

Maybe this will get you started though...

HTH

RoryG