On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:11:26 CDT, Pat Suwalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2) Has anyone ever considered making GIMP into a single-window interface
> with MDI and children windows? An annoyance of GIMP is how it takes so
> many windows and shows up in the task list when alt-tabbing.

This is where you'd get into religious bunfights if you took away the
current interface.  If a single-window interface was available, it
should be selectable.  The multi-window interface is one of the things I
love about the Gimp.  I already have a window manager running which can
take care of them, so why not use it?

I'm one of those people who use virtual workspaces (10 of them in fact).
I often have Gimp windows clustered in one workspace, but it's useful to
have Gimp windows pop up in other workspaces and in fact sometimes I
have Gimp windows appearing in multiple workspaces.

When you talk about each window "show[ing] up in the task list when
alt-tabbing", that would be a function of your window manager (or are
you running under "Windows"?).  You may be able to configure your WM
to be more helpful (e.g. by dropping some window names from the list).

BTW, my comments are based on experience with 1.2.x - can't comment on 1.3.

Cheers
__
DavidB