> as an aside, i have read that photoshop has a function that allows you to go 
> back and undo selected parts of images. i think that's neat, because 
> sometimes, especially with layering you like some changes an additional layer 
> makes but you lose other parts you liked (iyswim), hence with this tool you 
> can just select the bits you would like retain by selecting that part and 
> undoing the change just for that part. 
> is there anything similar in the gimp ? if not is it possible to do ?

In GIMP, you can do what you describe with a layer mask.  Last I saw, 
that's how you did it in Photoshop, too.  Here's a short run-down of the 

1) Pick the layer you want to change.  Duplicate it (this choice is in the 
layers, channels and paths dialog, both as a right-click menu on the layer 
and one of the buttosn on the bottom).

2) On the layer copy, make the change you want to make.

3) Right click the layer copy and choose "Add Layer Mask".  Pick "Full 

4) In the layers menu, you'll see a white rectangle next to the copy 
layer.  Click on it.  You're now editing the layer mask.

5) Now you can edit the image with any of the paint tools.  Black will 
undo whatever change you made on the layer copy.  White will show the 
changes on the layer copy.  Grey will show a combination of the two.

6) When the you're happy about the appearance of the change, right-click 
the layer copy and choose 'Merge Down'.

> i seem to be the only person on rederosity who uses gimp :))))
> and i am telling people it is free :))) (and good, of course)

Good work.  I'm spreading the word myself.

Gimp-user mailing list

Reply via email to