On Monday 27 January 2003 20:42, Michael W. Digby wrote:
> I'm tearing what little hair i have left out. Any pertinent suggestions
> would be appreciated.
> Running RH8.0 2.4.18-14
> With the following rpms
> cups-drivers-1.9-1.20020617.6
> cups-drivers-hpijs-1.9-1.20020617.6
> gimp-data-extras-1.2.0-6
> gtkam-gimp-0.1.4-6
> gimp-devel-1.2.3-9
> cups-drivers-pnm2ppa-1.9-1.20020617.6
> gimp-1.2.3-9
> xsane-gimp-0.84-8
> gimp-print-utils-4.2.4-3
> cups-1.1.17-0.2
> cups-libs-1.1.17-0.2
> cups-devel-1.1.17-0.2
> gimp-print-plugin-4.2.4-3
>
> I used the web interface to setup the printer for 'normal' printing,
> using cups + gimp-print 4.2.4 no problem. But when I try to print
> an image from gimp all I get is low grade crap, and the set up panel
> has all the fields such as Media Size,Type etc. grayed out.
> Any ideas where I went wrong.
>
> Thanks, in advance.
> Mike D.

I don't know if this will work for you, and you probably already tried this,
but here goes:

Right click on the image to open up the menu, then hit
       file > print > setup printer.

The Setup Printer selections should now be listed. Choose your printer, the
Canon S800, the click "OK". The greyed out areas should now be not grey, and
you can make your selections accordingly - Media Type, Media Source, etc.

Still, after doing this you still may need to have defined the various printer
names using your Red Hat printer installation procedures and you may need to
choose one. I use SUSE 8.0, and GIMP 1.2.3 so my setup is a bit different
then yours. When I install a printer I name each resolution and type that my
printer is capable of, and when I want to print in a particular way I choose
one of these. For example, for my Epson Stylus Photo 820, I click on "Printer
Name" and choose lp@linux to print in black and white.

I really don't know if you have to do both or just choose one or the other
because I have never tested it because this works for me so I don't care
( ha! one has only so much time - I just want to get work done most of the
time) but you may have to with your setup.

I don't play around with all the various linux printer methods because I did
once and couldn't make any sense of it at the time - it's so easy to make
each and every program your life's work and one gets nothing done that way.

Please let me know if any of this helped or not.

Fred