Alf, I received this from gimp-user some time ago(the atachment). I hope
it helps you.
    John Dietsch

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Alf C Stockton wrote:

> Is there any way to stitch photos together using the gimp ?
> ---
> Regards,
> Alf Stockton
> Wiker's Law:
>       Government expands to absorb revenue and then some.
> I had an old document that came apart during scanning, and as a result it
> had to be scanned as two separate images.  Now I would like to merge these
> two pieces back into a single image.  The effect that I want is merely
> placing the two original images adjacent to each other.  I don't need to do
> any stitching or anything fancy like that.  Can anyone please give me some
> pointers to help cut down on my research time and learning curve?  I know
> that I could probably dig through the docs and eventually figure this out
> for myself, but I'm already WAY behind on this project and need to avoid
> all possible additional delays.  Thanks!!!

You can copy the images sequentially to a new image that you make at least as
large as the two images you're trying to merge. You can get the dimensions
using ctl-alt-I, for the information of each picture. Then add the dimensions
for the dimension of the new image, so both images fit. It maight be useful
to pick a transparent background.

Then copy and paste each image to the new image, selecting layers - layers,
channels, paths - then new image to convert the floating image to a new
layer, for each image.

Then magnify hugely depending on how close you want the match to be, and line
up the edges of choice as close as you want them by using the "move" tool or
whatever its called. Then do flatten image.