On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 05:38:34PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> In the meantime, is there anything that could extract the EXIM info,
> then be used to add it back afterwards?

I recently downloaded EXIFutils[1], a collection of console utilities for
working with EXIF information.  They seem very powerful and I have only
used the tiniest fraction of their capabilities.  To do what you need
one simply keeps a copy of the original jpeg form the camera and then
transfers the EXIF information from it to the manipulated image with the
command

  exifcopy <original image> <edited image>

These tools are not free but they do work in a limited way without being
registered.  The command above works fine without registering.  I have
also used the exiflist command to view the EXIF information.

Another utility that you might look at is jhead[2].  It seems less
powerful than EXIFutils but it is free.

[1] http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/
[2] http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
--