On Saturday 12 April 2003 01:19 pm, Dave Selby wrote:
> I have a web site almost written, a lot of GIFs in it, cant use PNGs
> because IE does not recognise PNG transparencies. GIFs made by GIMP
> techniacally illegal.
>
> Can anyone recommend a cheap windows program that is legal to produce
> GIFs so I can load my GIMP GIFs into it and save from it in nice
> legal format ?
>
> Somehow I dont want to pay 500 for photoshop !
>
> Dave
=======================

Dave,
Certainly you would be better off to use png files as they are a much
better format than gif.  No matter what you produce a GIF with on any
platform now, they are subject to a royality charge by Unisys.  As
Daniel mentioned about non-commercial use, that is the information I
have heard too, but why take the chance?

IE should be able to view PNG files now as most modern browsers can.
You could always add a note to your site:  "Best viewed with anything
but IE" and maybe get a message across to users of the inferior
browser!  ;o)

Bottom line is that any GIF file, no matter how it is produced, is
subject to royality fees.

Patrick
--
 --- KMail v1.5.9.1i --- SuSE Linux Pro v8.1 ---
        Registered Linux User #225206