On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 12:58:12PM +0200, Matthias Brunner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> we have a lot of document scans, all sized 2432x3482 pixels, and

and which colour depth?

> The problem is that the standard scale algorithm renders the document
> unreadable (some text characters can still be recognised, others not

is this because you are scaling in indexed mode maybe?

> Is there some "intelligent scaling process" in gimp which takes care
> of text scans (keeping lines together, preventing distortion of

I did a lot of scaling, and the gimp certainly works fine with this kind
of job, as long as you allow it to use grayscale and interpolation. It
also doesn't add distortion normally.

Putting up an example to look at somewhere might be helpful.

If the gimp indeed results in bad quality you might look into imagemagick,
which allows you to select the filter form (lanczos or mitchell are two
that are worth checking out).