Hi there,

This must be a FAQ - do we have one of those for the user list?

Bertie Coopersmith wrote:
> A suggestion for the Gimp cropping tool dialog:
> How would the user set it? perhaps a new item, 'Aspect %', in the menu under
> the 'px' button. - So minimal change to the present dialog. The on-line help
> would explain that this meant width/height.

It would be nice if the Crop tool supported the Fixed size/Aspect
Ratio of the rect select tool. This would more or less be a copy
& paste of code from gimprectselecttool.c too...

There is a workaround which allows you to do exactly this. You
use the rect select tool with either fixed size or with the ratio
you're interested in (for example, when I take photos with my
camera, they're 2048x1572, and I crop them to the ratio 13x11 for
printing, or sometimes I just set a fixed size of 1820x1540
(which is the same ratio) and position the rectangular selection
afterwards to frame the photo as I want.

Then use the Crop tool and click the "From selection" button to
have the crop markers align automatically to the rectangular
selection you just made. You have a crop at an exact proportion,
but you have to pass by the Select tool first. The handy thing
about the selection tools is that you can use Alt (or Ctrl-Alt)
to move them around. Of course, the pain is that you can't resize
them once they're made.

Hope this helps,

       David Neary,
       Lyon, France