I attempted David Neary's workaround which was to first use the rectselect tool
specifying the required aspect ratio. Unfortunately I cannot do this and I think my
gimp is a bit broken. This is what I get:-
/usr/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/aa: error while loading shared libraries:
 libaa.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

LibGimp-WARNING **: gimp: wire_read: unexpected EOF

Lets forget that. I must oneday download & recompile the latest reliable gimp.
What I am quite bucked about is that the developers seem to think that my suggestion,
(i.e. being able to set aspect in the cropping tool) is worth implementing.
Go to it guys!

Bertie Coopersmith