On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:41:23 +0200
David Neary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There is no further dialog - there is a tool options dialog
> however which opens when you double click on the tool in the
> toolbox. The rect select tool is the dotted rectangle - the tool
> which is selected by default at startup. Double click on it, and
> a dialog opens up (in 1.2) In 1.3, this dialog is active by
> default, and docked in the main toolbox window.
Thanks for telling me this. (I am not very gui-intuitive.) Now I see
what you were talking about. However, unless there is yet another setting
that I missed, the behaviours of the rectangular selection tool and the
cropping tool are significantly different. I need all the aspects of the
cropping tool with its ability to make incremental adjustments but with
the one additional feature - constant aspect ratio - that I described in
this thread's initial posting. Its the only way, for example that I can
crop out one person's face from a group without cutting off a chin or an
ear at one extreme or getting too wide a view at the other, and still end
up with the correct aspect ratio ready for resizing to my standard thumbnail,
say 96x72 pixels. The only way, that is, apart from what I do now with the
aid of a pocket calculator.

Regards, Bertie.