I'm looking for public-domain photography and drawings.  Not just
royalty-free, because I'm wanting to include them in a collection
(although it could be creative-commonsly licensed).  Does
anyone know where such a repository might be?  Would anyone be interested
in contributing if I were to start one?

My main purpose is coming up with a set of GIMP-scripts to make
communication boards for children with speech problems, and I need a large
archive of pictures to be able to include.  However, I think open-source
images (not just royalty-free) are also very much needed for a variety of
reasons.

Jon