Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 21:44, Carol Spears wrote:

GIMP-1.3 uses fontconfig (http://fontconfig.org/) for font
configuration. All you need to do is to add the directories with fonts
to /etc/fonts/fonts.conf or ~/.fonts.conf.

This is bad news if you are like me and have way too many fonts.

I don't see what's bad about this. GIMP shouldn't have it's own way of configuring fonts. By using fontconfig we make sure that users have to configure fonts only once and that they can make use of existing (fontilus) or yet-to-be-written font management tools. I admit that there are ways that font management could be improved, for example by introducing font categories. Such improvements should however be addressed at the fontconfig level so that other apps can benefit from it as well.

http://mail.fontconfig.org/pipermail/fontconfig/2003-August/000597.html

I think this mail says that fontconfig probably won't be doing catagorizing fonts anytime soon.

I was talking with someone familiar with gimp core stuff, apparently all
of what is needed is there.  Unfortunately, fonts catagorizing with its
core means it would probably not be able to share such functionality with
other apps, as the fontconfig people are suggesting.

All fonts are not equal, even if this is how they are presented lately.

carol