You might be interested in CinePaint (before known as FilmGimp).  It's a
branch-off of Gimp which is geared towards film.  One of the main
differentiators with Gimp is that it has the feature you are looking for.

http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,
Daniel.

--
Daniel Carrera, Math PhD student at UMD.  PGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
  .-"~~~"-.