You might be interested in CinePaint (before known as FilmGimp).  It's a
branch-off of Gimp which is geared towards film.  One of the main
differentiators with Gimp is that it has the feature you are looking for.

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 01:28:41PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>            Can anyone tell me an easy way to edit a movie frame by frame
>    in gimp? This would be useful in rotoscoping (like in the creation of
>    light saber effects). I don't have ready access to the internet, so a
>    e-mail answer would be nice.
>                    Timothy Baldridge

Daniel Carrera, Math PhD student at UMD.  PGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
 /  O   O  \  A can of air freshner warns:
 \  \___/  /  "Keep out of reach of children and teenagers".