On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 05:09:30PM -0700, Daniel Rogers wrote:

> It depends on what kind of noise you are looking at.  Can you describe the 
> noise more precisely?  Is it "salt and pepper" noise?  Gaussian noise?  If 
> you can show an example image I can help you pick a filter.

I'm not sure I know how to describe it.  I was really just asking in
general terms although there is a specific image that prompted my
question.  Take a look at my web site at http://craniac.afraid.org and
look at the very first photo there, the one with the red buildings.  I
used the curves on the sky section to give a similar effect to using a
polarising filter.  This has accentuated noise that isn't too noticeable
in this small, low-res version but is quite noticeable in the full-sized
original and would probably be noticeable on a print.  As this is a
reasonable flat area of colour the Gaussian blur filter could work but
might not be the best thing to use for other images.

I think that what I'm looking for is some ideas/tutorials on different
techniques that would suit different cases.  I don't much care for a
script that is more generic.  After all if I wanted the canned approach
I could just use Windows and Photoshop with it's million and three
filters.  I prefer to understand why the technique works as this will
aid me in applying it to future, slightly different cases.
Steve Crane
Gimp-user mailing list

Reply via email to