On Friday 26 September 2003 12:27, Jeff Trefftzs wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 08:43, John Culleton wrote:
> > > I have a cover image in JPEG format from a client. I want to extract
> > > just

> > Here is the jpg:
> > http://wexfordpress.com/Cover3.jpg
> I tried the simplest thing:  select by color, clicking on the text, and
> it selected the text and only the text.  Then I copied the selection and
> pasted it back on a white background in a new layer.
> Image/Colors/Desaturate makes it black on white; or you could change the
> image mode to grayscale.  Or you could paste the original selection on a
> transparent background ... (or even into a new image).
> Is this what you were looking for?

Further on htis task: I took the 5.5 x 8.5 image, put up a similarly sized
blank next to it, and extracted the text with the color select as you
suggested. Because the new image was grayscale the text came out essentially
black. That is the good news. The bad news is that the original jpeg was
100dpi and I have jaggies. So I asked the customer to ask the cover artist
for a 600dpi or at least 300dpi version of the cover artwork.
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers