a week has gone by since the last progress report so it's about time
for a short update on what has changed in GIMP CVS.
- Yosh added new functions to libgimpwidgets that provide a 64bit
clean interface for option menus and radio groups. This fixes bug
- A couple of other issues with the libgimp* APIs have been
resolved. The APIs should be ready for GIMP-2.0 now. Only the
addition of libgimpthumb is still missing in CVS.
- Mitch went over the core and all plug-ins and unified user-visible
strings, focusing on error messages. This reduces the work for
translators. Also lots of newlines have been removed from these
strings. We let the message dialog do the line breaks now.
- Session management now handles multiples screen. If you move a dock
away from the default screen, GIMP will remember this in your
sessionrc and will try to reopen it there the next time. Finally you
can seriously work with two or more screens.
- The image window and popup windows such as menus now position and
size itself by looking at the geometry of the current monitor
instead of using the screen size. This makes GIMP behave a lot
better on Xinerama setups where one screen goes over multiple
- The small theme I talked about in my last report has landed in CVS.
- Some work has been done on cleaning up the application lifecycle.
The idea is that it should be possible to initialize GIMP, use it
for a while, then release all resources and start all over again.
This is somewhat academic but it already helped to find some
possible problems. You might notice that quitting GIMP takes a
little longer now. This is because we actually release all resources
instead of simply calling exit(). We might add back the call to
exit() for the 2.0 release.
- Mitch changed how GtkFileSelector is being used. This is in
preparation of a migration to the new GtkFileChooser widget from
GTK+ HEAD. The idea is to provide a patch for GIMP that makes it use
the new widget so that problems with the new API can be identified
early and fixed before the GTK+ API is frozen for 2.4.
- Hans fixed some Win32 problems and updated the MSC makefiles.
- Some more progress has been made on documenting the GIMP libraries
and the application itself.
Quite a few bugs have been fixed. Bugzilla talks about 24 bugs closed
during the last week, 17 of these were resolved by actually fixing the
code. The other 7 were duplicate or invalid reports.
Gimp-user mailing list