Sven/

Just like misfit-x pointed out already, this is of course completely
wrong. /etc/ld.so.conf has nothing to do with pkg-config. I would
strongly suggest to take a short look at the man-pages before doing
such changes. It certainly helps to know what files you are editing.

Point well taken. In my desperation to get this thing installed, I got misfit-x's indications mixed up. I guess I will take a look at the man-pages, but I still can't figure out why I can't straighten this thing out, especially since I already have an older GIMP that works on my system.

/brad.