I replied at length privately, but water is BAD for emulsions unless
you're ready to go through a complete re-soak.  Unless the re-soak ends
in a bleach bath, it's probably not going to help, and could make
matters worse.  There are some very good sites that discuss photo
material conservation/restoration and the appropriate materials and
protocols.
http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/cons_toc.html
http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/conservation/photographs.html

the USA library of congress web site also has some good references.  I
actually quoted a higher RH to him for storage.  It seems 30-40%RH is
now considered best.  Last I heard it was 60% max

PEC-12 is best to use if you need a cleaner.

jim

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 19:22, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 08:33:09PM -0500, Gary Montalbine wrote:
> > I have some 40 year old 35mm slides and negatives that have mildew
> > on them. What is the best way to clean them?  I hope this is not OT.
> >
> most of what i know about slides i learned 30 years ago -- i suggest
> water and a soft lint free cloth.
>
> carol

BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port
a Unix system to the PC. Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC
hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC.<Matt Fuller>