I am running GIMP 1.2.3 under Suse 8.2 and the image mapper plugin, which
works when it does, crashes frequently. I don't see any error message
generated  (though maybe I'm looking in the wrong places) but the plugin just
gives up the ghost. Gimp itself stays working, and if I save the map to a
text file before the crash then all the changes I made are reflected within
it - it just crashes without warning or, as far as I can tell, trace.

Is this a common problem/are there any suggestions about how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,