I'm trying to convert an image to 16bpp with dithering so it can
be used on a 16bit windows display. All the apps on my NetBSD box
happily dither a 32bit image for 16bit display, but Windows ends
up with the traditional 'banding' effect.
The two options I've found so far were:
1) - Decompose the image into RGB
- For each component
- Convert to indexed with 32grey palette
- Convert back to greyscale
- Recompose channels and save.
This gives an image with the right palette, but the
mechanism is clumsy, and the dithering is done
independently on each channel, which is obviously
2) - Use GD to create png with all r5g5b5 values, then ImageMagick
"convert -dither -map $palettefile $infile $outfile".
This works, but the output quality is vastly inferiour
to the Gimp.
Does anyone have an idea how do do this in gimp (or any other way
if necessary! :)
David Brownlee -- Purple Interactive CTO -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gimp-user mailing list