I recently purchased a Nikon D70 camera.  After getting the camera I upgraded
GIMP to 2.0.1.  When I take a picture with the camera oriented horizontal I
have no problems.  When I take a picture with the camera oriented vertical I
have discovered a puzzling glitch.

The camera automatically orients vertical photos vertical on the built in
viewer for quick viewing instead of horizontal.  After downloading the images
to my computer kuickshow will also automatically orient the untouched
vertical photos vertical.  If I open the vertical photos in GIMP the photos
are horizontal (as they should be).  I went ahead and rotated a couple of the
images to get them vertical in GIMP and saved them.  Now in kuickshow the
GIMP modified vertical photos are horizontal in the opposite direction.

What causes the camera and kuickshow to automatically orient the vertical
photos and is there anyway to get GIMP to do the same or get kuickshow to
stop doing it?

Any help will be appreciated,