From: Steve Stavropoulos [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 9:16 PM
To: dreadnought
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Gimp-user] Making an image with a white background
transparent?

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, dreadnought wrote:

> I've been using the technique mentioned in the email below to try to
> get images with white backgrounds transparent .. I've had some good
> luck, but also some bad.  Today I used the process on two .jpg's and
> the *entire* images ended up transparent.  In one of the images, the
> foreground color is actually black.  I've got the color picker on
> white and then do a color to alpha on white.  The entire image
> (including the black stuff in the middle) gets the alternating boxes
indicative of transparency.

 This behaviour is the expected. Color to alpha removes the selected color
from all the colors in the image in such a way that when you put the image
above a background of that color you will get your original image.
 To do what you want, and that is to just erase a specific color, you
should:
 1) add an alpha channel to your layer if it hasn't got any yet (right click
on the layer and "add alpha channel")
 2) Select -> Select by Color
 3) Edit -> Clear