On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 04:47:01PM +0100, Colin Bannister wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to install GIMP 2.0.1 from source on a Solaris 2.8 machine.
> Unfortunately,
> I have not managed to get the prerequisite GTK 2.4.1 to install.
> I am following the instructions in 'install_help.html' from the GIMP web site.
> pkg-config seems to install OK
> glib 2.4.1 installs OK.
> pango 1.4.0 OK
> ATK 1.6.0 OK
> Gtk configure fails at:
> checking for GLIB version >= 2.4.0... no
> *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
> etc...
> This is SECOND check for GLIB, first check passed!:
> checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.4.0  atk >= 1.0.1  pango >= 1.4.0... yes
> the message says it might be finding an old version of Glib, but I do not want to
> remove
> this and damage other installations of GIMP/GTK (I thought it WAS possible to have
> parallel installations of GTK).
> Has anyone else experienced this difficulty?  Could anyone suggest a way to install

we have been seeing this exact problem with debian, fedora, suse.  maybe
mandrake -- i cannot remember exactly.

it seems to be a problem with pkg-config and the suggestions of how to
fix it are many.

for some reason, there is a glib-2.4 on your computer but there is no
glib-2.4.pc in the place that pkg-config should be putting one.  in that
place is a glib-2.3.pc.

how to fix this on solaris?  i dunno.  i built my own and put a pc file
in the path.  which glib is my gimp using?  i have no idea.  it works

so, you will have to figure out the best way to put this .pc file into
the place it should be for solaris.

if someone else who is using solaris tells you they are not having these
problems, ignore them.