On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 06:55:13PM -0500, Keifer Miller wrote:
> ok, to be honest, I don't even know if I'm in the right list or not. I
> really couldn't tell from the discriptions. If not, please point me in
> the right direction.
> Anyways, I just emerged gimp, and I'm having problems saveing (and
> opening) .png files. When I try, it gives me this error message:
> [error]
> saving '/home/me/example.png failed:
> Plug-in could not save image
> [/error]
i dont know about emerge -- but it is unclear here that there was
problems opening png images up.

if there is only a problem saving them, perhaps it is a permission
problem.  if there is a problem both opening and saving pngs, then there
might be something wrong with your png libraries.

is it possible to just build it (even once as a test) without "emerge"?
meaning, run through the basic make tools without the aid of the package
handler?  then it would be easier to determine if it is gimp or your