On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 21:14, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 06:55:13PM -0500, Keifer Miller wrote:
> > ok, to be honest, I don't even know if I'm in the right list or not. I
> > really couldn't tell from the discriptions. If not, please point me in
> > the right direction.
> >
> > Anyways, I just emerged gimp, and I'm having problems saveing (and
> > opening) .png files. When I try, it gives me this error message:
> >

> > [error]
> > saving '/home/me/example.png failed:
> > Plug-in could not save image
> > [/error]
> >
> i dont know about emerge -- but it is unclear here that there was
> problems opening png images up.
> if there is only a problem saving them, perhaps it is a permission
> problem.  if there is a problem both opening and saving pngs, then there
> might be something wrong with your png libraries.
> is it possible to just build it (even once as a test) without "emerge"?
> meaning, run through the basic make tools without the aid of the package
> handler?  then it would be easier to determine if it is gimp or your
> distribution.

As another gentoo user, chances are that the original poster didn't have
png specified in the USE variable, so when gimp was emerged, png was not
set as a dependency, and thusly the png libraries were not included at
compile time.

From the gimp-2.0.2 ebuild file, the following USE variables are used:
  doc python aalib png jpeg tiff mng wmf gimpprint gtkhtml mmx
  sse X altivec debug

So if you want support for all the stuff gimp has to offer, I'd suggest
placing most of those into your global USE variable (although, you might
want to leave off debug if you're just using gimp).

GPG Key: