Hi Gimp List!

Let me first give kudos to the developers of the new Gimp!  I had been
keeping up with it during the 1.3 process somewhat, but not being a
regular user of Gimp, waited to see the final 2.0 release until my
Linux distro released their new version which included it.  You guys
have been busy!  Wonderful changes, outstanding work on an already
great program!  My sincere admiration for all your hard work.  :o)

Now a question for you.  A local user is trying to load up some camera
pictures into Gimp, but Gimp doesn't seem to like all the pictures.  Of
26 photos contained on her memory card, only eight will open and if she
trys to resave them to her hard drive from Gimp, she gets this error:
   Saving '/home/helen/Family/EmilyChloe.jpg' failed:
   Plug-In could not save image

I think that is the same type of error when trying to load one that
won't.  Now my first thoughts are that she has not allocated enough
memory in Gimp to load these 5+ megapixel photos, but the saving part
confuses me.  Looking at the pictures in a hexeditor shows them to be
the standard jEXIF format and all of her viewers show the pictures.
One thing I tried, was to open the "bad" image into ImageMagick, resize
and save out as jpg.  This too will not open for her or me and the file
is considerably smaller.

Hints, tips, suggestions?  I can supply the picture to anyone wanting to
take a look.

        Registered Linux User #225206
 On any other day, that might seem strange...