Is there any way that I can manipulate a smaller, screen-resolution version of
the actual image (perhaps loading sections at a higher resolution as I zoom
in), then "render" my edits on the actual file at a later date (eg.

It strikes me that it is very easy to produce a very large file, such as a
panorama from several photographs scanned at 1200dpi, but very difficult to
then edit it due to a lack of RAM.  It'd be great if I could use the GIMP in
the above manner; it would really open up opportunities for higher-quality

Apologies if this has already been discussed; the Archive search appears to be
broken, and I wouldn't know what search terms to use anyway.

PS: There's only one thing that bugs me about version 2.0; how do I assign
shortcut keys?!