On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 02:32:10 +0000
Eric Pierce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok, I want to install 2.1 side-by-side with 2.0.
>
> Everyone says to change the prefix (which I've never done before).  Is that as
> simple as this?
> ./configure --prefix=~\gimp_dev && make && make install

I would do      ./configure --help

and have a good read. Then I would build it in /opt rather than mess up your home
directory. So do configure like this

./configure --prefix=/opt (plus any other options you want)

make

Then su to root

make install

Then you will end up with all the libraries and binaries in /opt

Also a .gimp-2.1 directory will be created in your home directory that will contail
all the brushes and gradients etc like in your current .gimp-2.0 directory (or
.gimp-1.2).

To start your gimp-2.1, you will need to issue

        /opt/bin/gimp-2.1

Try that and see what happens.

Owen