On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:14:42 +0100 (BST)
Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the words:

> > I'm wanting to make a favourite icon for my web site.  I created an
> > icon
> Favourite Icon, aka favicon, aka Site Icons?
> > using Baby Gimp in the xpm format.  Now I need to get it to ico
> > format. Baby Gimp doesn't appear to save that format, nor does Gimp.
> >  I tried
> > doing a Google/Linux search for a conversion tool and found a number
> > that claim to convert xpm to ico, but nothing for the other
> > direction.
> >
> > So question is, how can I get the xpm to an ico file?
> If you are doing what I think you are doing then you should seriously
> consider using PNG instead of ICO, or at worst you should use PNG as
> well as ICO.
> In the past I've used XnView (http://xnview.com free but not open
> source) and other programs to convert to .ico format but the only
> thing that seems to be able to create icons reliably is Microsoft
> Visual Studio.  Anytime I've used anything else it has caused
> problems.  I gave up the idea of using ICO entirely because I couldn't
> get them to work with Internet Explorer at all (it doesn't seem to
> like anything but www.site.com/favicon.ico and I needed the icon for
> an individual page) despite the fact that Mozilla could display the
> ICO file without a problem.  I now use only PNG for site icons, and if
> more people do then maybe Microsoft will eventaully fix their browser
> to properly support PNG instead of their own proprietary ICO files.
> Mozilla does not automatically look for favicon.ico so you can easily
> have both if you want by leaving Internet Explorer to find it
> automatically but specifying an icon on each page for mozilla like so:
> <link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="icon.png" >
> mozilla also supports tags that Internet Explorer does not
> <link rel="icon" href="icon.png" >
> http://www.favicon.com/index.jsp?id=Mozilla#5-4
> Good luck
> Sincerely
> Alan H.

And yet more good information.  Thank you very much for taking the time
to write this up.

On The Fly Photography -:- Creation From Chaos

On The Fly Photography:  204EastSouth.com
Modeling Projects:  204EastSouth.com/current.htm
Photography:  204EastSouth.com/photo.htm
Purchase from On The Fly:  www.cafepress.com/onthefly

phone: 970-419-8976