On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:31:46 -0300
"Joao S. O. Bueno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 August 2004 17:31, Simon Budig wrote:
> > ivanova ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > > Is there any way to do something similar to the defringe tool in
> > > photoshop? I played around a bit without good results in gimp,
> > > but I'm still new and probably don't know all the tools that
> > > well.
> >
> > Ok, I don't know Photoshop so I am not sure if this really is
> > equivalent but you can try this:
> >
> > Do   <Image>->Layer->Transparency->Alpha to Selection
> > then <image>->Select->Shrink  (by the desired amount)
> > then <Image>->Select->Invert
> > and finally <Image>->Edit->Clear.
> >
> > This will make your motive a little bit smaller but will also
> > remove the fringing artefacts.
> Hmm...maybe instead of ending with Edit->CLear, using
> Layer->Colors->Curves, ALpha Channel, and augment the transparency of
> said border would have better results.
> Also, selection->feather before before caling the curves tool could be
> even better.

Thanks, I ended up using a combination of the suggestions. Luckily in this case
the border was mostly black, so I could use curve/levels or whatever to darken
the white halo. But this won't work for a border with different colors. I was
thinking of using the selection to stroke with the clone brush - but that would
require the source angle to change as you go around ;)

Or maybe copy the border and scale it a bit bigger - I'll play around a bit.