On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 10:52:52AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Steve, please don't be so ignorant.

This seems a bit rude and uncalled for.

> Carol has a point here. If unsharp
> mask is slow, it makes sense to look for alternatives.

Of course it does.

> There's no
> point in sticking to your workflow if it turns out that the same
> result can be better achieved differently.

I don't intend to, nor did I say I planned to.

> So, are you certain that
> unsharp mask is better than using levels?

The point I was trying to make in my reply to Carol, and maybe I didn't
put it across clearly, was the following.  In general GIMP (in Linux)
performs roughly the same as Photoshop (in Windows) on my machine.  So
when I found this one filter that is so much slower with the same
settings I became curious, wondering if it is to be expected, due to the
way GIMP handles USM.  That is all.  I was not saying I will blindly use
the function because the workflow uses it.  I was not saying that I
won't look for alternatives.  I was not saying that GIMP sucks or has a
bug, merely asking for an opinion from those more knowledgeable than
myself in the workings of the USM filter.

I do appreciate Carol's pointing out an alternative.  I sometimes feel
though, that on mailing lists in general, a lot of friction could be
avoided if we only answer what is asked, not what we think is being
asked by trying to read between the lines.

Steve Crane