On 16 Aug 2004 00:56:41 +0200
Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the words:

> Linux GIMP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Ah, yes they are.  And they are set to large if that makes a
> > difference.
> >  I wasn't actually aware until now that this was the place to turn
> >  them
> > off, as opposed to simply determining what size they would be.
> Hmm, them being set to large could be a problem. gthumb wouldn't
> implement the spec properly then but I could imagine that perhaps it
> looks for thumbnails in size normal only. If that turns out to be
> causing your problem, you should file a bug report against gthumb.
> Sven

Bingo.  As a follow up, that seems to be the case.
In Gimp I changed the thumbnail size to small.
Set up a new directory with xcf and tif.bz2 files in it.
Used Gimp to create thumbnails.
Gthumb will now show a thumbnail for the xcf files, but still doesn't
show the tif.bz2 files at all.
Nautilus shows thumbnails for xcf and tif.bz2 files.

Thank you for you help everyone.

On The Fly Photography -:- Creation From Chaos

On The Fly Photography:  http://204EastSouth.com
Purchase from On The Fly:  http://www.cafepress.com/onthefly