You have to weigh in a number of factors -
cost/benefit ratio, availability on a number of
platforms, number of free plug-ins/filters, labor of
love regarding creating one's own pattern/effect vs.
getting one churned out of a filter, etc :)

Though I am not fighting tool wars here ;), I would
certainly like to present my humble replies to the
honorary views presented by the poster on Slashdot.

First off, one has to use a tool sufficiently enough
before presenting conclusions as to its
standard/non-standard GUI, non-/intuitive interface,
etc.  I think Gimp's interface is not very much
different from PS - very intuitive, on the contrary.
Besides, you can't afford developing different GUIs
for different platforms to cater to the needs of a few

According to the GIMP stuff/books I have read so far,
Gimp is not very good with large files.  However, if
you do want to work with large files, you, probably,
should go for CinePaint (filmGimp) as it does have
support for higher bit-depth images and movie-grade
re-touching capabilities (I am going to use it).

Gimp tools/filters are the core building blocks in the
right hands - you have to play with and understand
various parameters of various tools - no one-touch
results here - albeit good customized effects after
wielding some tool parameters.  It also matters
whether you drive satisfactions out of understanding
and learning about those parameters.  Such posters
should visit GUG, GimpGuru, etc. to learn how to use
various filters/tools to yield the desired effect.

I think, text quality is very much dependent on the
font quality and Gimp is simply not the tool for
drawing lines and shapes - though you can draw
lines/shapes using Path/GFig/Selections, etc.  One
should use a vector tool for high-quality line art.
As to the support aspect,  I have continuously been
witnessing (and receiving, of course) the free support
on this user list - coming from so many Gimp users.
May be questions related to very rare scenarios are
not answered here or the persons volunteering don't
find enough time for those support queries because of
the magnitude of efforts involved in experimenting,
testing, etc.

CinePaint is popular for its high-end features - it is
just a good guess but may be it has full 16-bit (or
higher) channel support - I don't know, anyway!

I think Gimp's Crop, Rotate and other transformation
tools are very good and am very comfortable with all
of what is available.  I, frankly, haven't used any of

It also matters what media you are targeting -
online/web or print?  Use PS if CMYK support is
required! Not available in Gimp presently.

Frankly speaking, both Gimp and PS have their own
niches and merits/de-merits and a good computer artist
would use both of them for their particular features.
I, for one, am more inclined towards using Gimp as the
core tool as trying out combinations of different
parameters, filters, plug-ins to create my own effects
gives me work satisfaction and enhances my
understanding of the color model/mode/filter usage -
labor of love :).

I _think_ I have answered most, if not all, of the
points mentioned in the post you referred me to - in
the interest of helping people understand Gimp better.

I think new users must go through "Grokking the Gimp"
- and the online manual - no matter how much they
refrain from reading books cover to cover.

I close here now.

No tool wars :)

Best regards