On 01 Sep 2004 14:29:04 +0200 Sven Neumann wrote:
> > is it possible to configure Gimp so that when pressing the left or
> > middle mouse button, I draw with the background color.
> No, and all mouse buttons are used already. We aren't going to change
> that.

This I don't understand. What would be bad about allowing the user to
configure the function of the middle mouse button? I'd prefer panning
with modifiers + "cursor keys" anyways. Configuration could work for
example as follows (just a quick idea):

Middle Mouse Button:
<*> Panning
< > Default alternate tool functionality (e.g. drawing with background
    color when using the ink tool)