On Saturday 04 September 2004 08:18 pm, Carol Spears wrote:
> hello back,
> On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 01:48:06AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Carol Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > now, to the new file selector.  there is a huge difference
> > > between the file selector in gimp-2.0 and the file selector in
> > > gimp-2.1.  the newer of the two is an invalid (sickly person)
> > > compared to its proud ancestors.  i have tried to make a tutorial
> > > that shows what the old file selector can do and what the new one
> > > stuggles to do.  the person who designed this is being paid by a
> > > company -- it would be nice to see some evidence that it is not
> > > an attempt to destroy free software.  i cannot find this
> > > evidence, however.
> >
> > Your comparison is interesting but the gimp-user list is of course
> > the wrong address for complaints about GtkFileChooser. We can't
> > really change the way this widget works. Why don't you send this
> > mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead?
> well, it is not a complaint on this list.  it is supposed to be more
> for educational purposes.  there are so many different operating
> systems using the gimp that some of the nice things are not known and
> also being design "out of existenence".
> as far as complaining to the proper channels, been there done that.
> volunteers flew me thousands of miles.  when i asked the Ximian
> employee about this decision, he made it sound like all of these new
> users (these gimp users, many on this list) were too stupid to
> understand how to work the old file selector and that this ability
> needed to be hidden from the simpletons.
> i consider the problem to be more of a lack of knowledge of the
> capacity and am trying to educate users who are not simpletons to use
> it.
> going through the right channels, i was told by [EMAIL PROTECTED] to
> fork the gimp tool kit.
> education is the only thing that will help me.  i think that the gimp
> users are smart enough to be able to use such a complicated thing.
> carol

As much as I agree with you on the new file selectors and disappointment
that the Gimp developers can't change them, I'm afraid this is the
state of Gnome/GTK+ presently.  If you haven't seen Gnome lately, 2.4
or 2.6 versions, then you will be even more disappointed.  It seems
that those developers have decided taking away user control over the
interface will make it an easier transition for user's of other OS's to
move to Linux.  You have to realize now, it's worked for Apple &
Windows so far.  Hide everything, lock it into a consistent look & feel
and remove as many user controls as possible to eliminate confusion on
their part!

Fortunately for us, the Linux users, we have other choices to go too
that are still Linux oriented, full control, but this is not an option
for Gimp, built so heavily within GTK+.  Maybe something will change,
maybe they'll realize the error of their ways, but presently, they have
decided to go this route.  We'll see if pays off and if it does, Linux
gets more users and if not, the Linux users get an ugly GUI interface
that can't be changed much.

--- KMail v1.7 --- SuSE Linux Pro v9.1 ---
      Registered Linux User #225206
  Those Who Dance Are Considered Insane,
   by Those That Cannot Hear the Music!