On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 09:07 +0200, Aewyn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need some help: my 2.1.4 gimp has an
> 55392K size binary.
>
> Of course I ./configure --enable-shared
> then --disable-static with the same result.

Debugging symbols (built in by default) are a large part of that.
Running strip on the resulting binary reduces it to about 3M (from
memory). You could also investigate the 'make install-strip' option
(instead of 'make install') so that the binaries are stripped of
debugging symbols.

Of course, for a 2.1 release, this is a little counter-productive, since
you will then not be able to file useful backtraces if things go
horribly wrong, etc. But if disk space is tight, that is one option.

Cheers,
Malcolm