Hi,

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
> Does anyone have an idea about turning a photo into a cartoon/comic
> like picture?
>
> I mean, doing edge detection, and replacing the edges by a rather
> thick black line, and replacing the filled-in regions with an even color
> instead of several hundreds of shades of the same color?

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I did a tutorial on this before:
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Photo_To_Sketch/

There's quite a lot of manual work in it, but it's all fairly straightforward.

It was somewhat based on this figure from the GUM:
http://www.bbso.njit.edu/Documentations/gimpdoc-html/First_Image2-image-12.jpeg

There are others like this in the GUM in 80 minutes: see
http://www.bbso.njit.edu/Documentations/gimpdoc-html/First_Image2.html#446556

The GUM (even though it is now out of date with respect to the interface and
menu locations) is still a great source of ideas.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary