I have used a font called Ergoe for 12 pt text buttons, and it worked great. I cannot tell you from where I installed it, but any time I need small text it is the one I choose as it is clear and legible.

Here is a web site I did many years ago, much has changed but the mouseover on the left is still the same buttons I made in '99 with (I think) 12 pt Ergoe.

Jim Clark

And for the fellow with the missing pixels in his (very attractive) sister's image: It may not be the best way, but a simple way to fix that is to leave a duplicate of the original beneath it and just erase around the edge in a manner to make sure nothing shows through. All the erased pixels will have their original source behind them.