Hello,
I'm using Debian and had a similar problem a while ago.  If I remember
correctly, it happened because I was doing "startx -- :1" instead of the
normal startx.  When doing that, I got really small fonts in gtk2 apps.
I figured out why it was happening (can't remember now, though) and
found that I needed to set my dpi to 100.  I now use "startx -- :1 -dpi
100".  So, if you're launching X in a non-standard way, you may want to
give this a shot.
Ben