On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 09:49:43PM +0100, Jenny Drake wrote:
> I have a need to sometimes change the colour of a sky on a picture while
> leaving the clouds unchanged.
> In gimp 1.2 I do this by using the Decompose to Hue, Saturation and
> Value function, then taking the Saturation, inverting the black to white
> values and copying and pasting this to a layer mask on the original
> image. This set the blue saturated clear sky to varying degrees of
> transparency, depending on how deep the blue was, leaving the monochrome
> clouds unchanged. A layer could then be placed behind with the desired
> sky colour.
> I now have Gimp 2.0 installed, but have not found a way of getting the
> same results. There doesn't appear to be anything that can turn a
> picture into a grey scale based on colour saturation.
> Is there a way of doing this, or another way of changing just the sky
> colour? I'm currently using the vastly superior version 2.0 for
> everything, except this one task where I have to revert to 1.2.
decompose has a new location; and everything else should work the same.

decompose is now located at <Image> -->Filters -->Colors -->Decompose

things have moved around some, it took me a while to get used to this.
the changes make some sense, if you think about them.  most of the
changes are made between the Image menu and Layers Menu with a few
things that are now located in Filters.

gimp2 also has a new way to locate plug-ins. Xtns -->Plug-in Details.
this should be helpful in finding the location of the old stuff in the
new gimp.

i hope this resolves your problem,