Quoting George Farris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> How do I fade on edge of a photo to transparency?  Given a 4' by 5"
> picture I want to fade slowly fade (gradient) the first inch from
> transparency to the picture.

The easiest way to do this is to ensure that your layer has an alpha channel
(Layer->Transparency->Add alpha channel), then in the layers dialog, add a
layer mask (right click on layer, Add layer mask) selecting full opacity
(white) as the start state for the mask, and then use the gradient too fril FG
to BG (white to black, basically) to degrade one edge of the layer mask.

A layer mask is essentially like the alpha channel of an image - if a point in
the mask has the value 0, then the combined image is transparent at that point.
If it's 255, then the image is fully opaque at that point, and so on.

You can do this without a layer mask by using a quick mask, but it's essentially
the same operation.

Dave Neary
Lyon, France