I have an HP Photosmart 7260 printer which prints great photos when I print
from other Linux applications, particularly KDE apps with kprinter.  To get
good photos I do have to explicitly set the printing mode in the driver
settings, but it works well.

It works well in every application *except* the GIMP, that is.  The GIMP
appears to do some rescaling and adjustment that makes the output look
noticeably blurry.  I've configured the GIMP to print through kprinter (with
command "kprinter -dPhoto --stdin") so that the kprinter dialog pops up and
allows me to set the print mode.

What's really annoying about the GIMP not printing nicely is that it makes
printing photos a multi-step process.  The image viewers I've tried print
okay, but they assume 72dpi, rather than whatever I really want (usually
300dpi, but sometimes more or less, depending).

So, my current process is to load the image in the GIMP, use "scale image" to
adjust the dpi setting (usually without actually scaling the image) and then
save the image as a postscript file.  Then I can load the .ps file up in
kghostview or whatever and it prints very nicely.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this?  I have the GIMP's Image/Output Settings
set to all the defaults (Image Type: Photograph, Output: Type Color, all the
parameters on the Adjust Output dialog to "1.000").  I'm careful to ensure
that I don't have to do any scaling from the print dialog, either...
"Scaling" is set to 100.0%.

What else... the printing system is CUPS v1.1.21rc1, the driver for the
printer is Foomatic v3.0.2 + hpijs v1.6.2 (configured through the KDE
printing manager) the system is Debian unstable, with a 2.6.8 kernel and the
GIMP is version 2.0.5.

Thanks for any suggestions,