Hi Fernando!

I am even working on a script to do this these days, - map a palette
to an image based on value information (not nearest color - as the
GIMP does, but buy color value: black is mapped to first color in
palette and so on).

Unfortunattely, the GIMP can only handle indexed images with 256
colors.

My script _can_ map a palette to an RGB image, but currently, as I
said, I am using the pixel Value to do that - and there are only 256
color values allowed  in  8bit RGB . :-(.  For Value here I mean the
Pixl Value in HSV color model, which is MAX (R,G,B)

Moreover, I use a trick with the the GIMP curves tool to do that, aand
the curves tool will also only use 256 colors.

How many colors do you need? if less then 512, I can think of a trick
whicth I could tune my script to do automatically - using another
component besides pixel Value - possibly the Red channel - to have
more than 256 target colors.

This would map, again, in palette order.
If you want the nearest color, the better thing to do is to get
yourself a Patch to the gimp core, in which an image is mapped to a
palette, but remains RGB, using the same algorithims thgat are there
already.

I think I could provide sucha  a patch, that would hardly make it into
the official GIMP. It would be a thing for your use only, at least
for a while. That would use some of my work time - so, what I mean,
is, how much do you need this?

BTW, all my scritps are gimp-python. I will mail you my palette
mapping  script in private anyway - at least you can study it.

Unfortunnately, the GIMP