Hi- Looking for some help touching up our wedding photos. Apparently, the makeup person used something she shouldn't have, so my wife's face is quite a few shades lighter than the rest of her.
I've read some of the manual and looked through a few tutorials, but I'm completely lost. If someone could point me in the right direction (in terms of a tuturioal or section of the manual), it would be a great help.

I can't really point you in the direction of a tutorial, but I can give you a few pointers. Depending on your level of experience, some of these may be obvious, but I'd rather give you more information than less.

First of all, make sure you save your modifications to copies of the originals! I do a lot with 3D graphics, so making bad changes to the original just involves re-rendering and waiting for a few minutes or hours depending on the level of detail and the size of the image, but in your case, messing up the original would be disastrous. Also, for best quality, save to .xcf, .png, or .tga while you're making changes. These formats are all lossless, so you won't get a quality degradation every time you save (which you would with .jpg).

Here is my suggestion on how to go about fixing your wife's makeup; it is based on the assumption that the makeup has desaturated her features:

(after duplicating the image and opening it up)

1) Save as a .xcf so you can save layers -- you can do this any time, but why not do it first?

2) Create a new layer in the Layer Manager. If the Layer Manager isn't open, head over to the Dialog menu > create new dock > layers, channels and paths

3) Select your new layer, and select the paint fuzzy brush strokes tool, and pick out a nice fuzzy brush that's big enough to make changes quickly, but small enough to do some degree of detail. You can move down to a smaller size at any time for more detailed work. Leave the brush type on normal mode since we'll be painting on the new layer. Now select a nice bright, saturated color -- a nice blue RGB = 0, 0, 255, might be nice. Paint over your wife's face with it. If she's blonde or has lighter hair, you'll have to be more careful not to get her hair -- what we're about to do will be more visible if this is the case (kind of like getting dirt in a light-colored carpet). If her lips are messed up too, paint those, but don't do eyes or teeth. You can bring the opacity down on the layer if you need to see what you're doing. A brief, informal test on a picture of my dark-haired roommate showed that painting the eyebrows doesn't matter too much with dark hair. With light hair, however, it will look awful.

4) Turn the layer opacity down to zero, and change the layer type to saturation. Turn up the opacity until things look right.

Good luck fixing your photos -- I'm sure it's possible, and I'm fairly certain that this method will work. If it doesn't, I'm sure that a good way exists to fix them -- I just don't know what it is.