On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 12:01:48PM -0500, Tom wrote:

> I've been experimenting with all the suggested methods
> and getting various results.  As far as making it trasnparent
> (how, when, why), I could use some advice.  :)

the transparency is like an extra color that you can add called alpha.
jpegs dont like it and you will have to remove this extra color before
you can save your image as a jpeg again.  This extra color can be added
while working with gimp on this image with no problem.

There are a few different ways to add this extra transparent color.
>From the menu, <Image> -->Layer -->Transparency -->Add Alpha Channel.
or from the Layer Dialog, right click next to the thumbnail and select
Add Alpha Channel.

To remove the alpha channel so you can save as a jpeg again, <Image>
-->Image -->Flatten Image.  This will cause any transparent areas to be
filled in by the background color you can see on the gimp toolbox.

carol