Hi Karine,

Quoting Karine Proot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> * If I choose to remove the transparency (which is bad in itself but
> remains an option), I don't know how to replace it with a color (like
> white) in images like wilber_the_gimp2.png where the transparency is
> progressive.

To set the background to white, for example, while keeping the shades, you would
create a new layer, put it underneath the wilber layer, and fill the layer with
white. Then merging and saving as GIF should give you reasonable results (well,
as good as possible with a 256 color palette). You could also convert to indexed
at that stage and save as PNG which would be OK in IE, rather than using the GIF

Dave Neary
Lyon, France