From: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jozsef Mak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.2, First impressions
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:57:06 +0100

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Thanks for this advice. I was not aware of this option. The small
> theme fits much better to my taste. But I still think that by
> fine-tuning the layout the dialogue windows can be made more
> compact.

The goal for 2.2 was to achieve a consistent and pleasant look. We
followed the advices of the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines and used
the spacings suggested there for most dialogs. We might consider to
allow these spacings to be customized using style properties. This
would make it possible to tune thes from the theme. That would be
quite an effort though since all dialogs would have to be touched. If
someone want to do this (comparably easy but rather large) task in the
next development cycle, that would be welcomed.

Sven

In my view, there is no need to complicate Gimp with additional options; especially, because its interface is getting better all the time.
In art school, my art teacher used to say, every pleasing composition has to have a center of interest. Every additional component in the arrangement should support this main element, otherwise, the design becomes confusing.
This principle, in my view, can be applied to other fields as well. In the case of the dialogue boxes the center of interests is the settings and the options; in the hierarchy of components, the rest (such as the Cancel and Save buttons) is secondary.
In addition, it is good to keep in mind that pop up windows always disrupt the workflow, therefore, it make sense to make them as unobtrusive as possible. This is one of the reasons, I guess, that Photoshop but also Inkscape (to which I applaud) places increasingly more options on the upper toolbar–to eliminate the need of creating additional pop up windows.
But the best is Blender’s (an open source 3D application) dialogue boxes. They are transparent (not all of them). As a result, they blend so smoothly and inconspicuously into the work environment that most of the time I don’t even bother to close them.

Regards,
J. Mak