Hi.

There is an easy way to draw circles and basic shapes. It just is not
aparent by trial and error - the "tips of the day" could point you
there.

Just create a circular selection (by holding shift after you start a
selection wirth the eliptical selection tool), and them go to
"edit->stroke selection"

What do you mean with  a "versatile shape"?
Maybe you will prefer to work with a vector instead - draw the
circular selectiona s above, them, open the "paths" dialog, convert
it to a path - you can them deform it, and when you want, go to
edit->stroke path.