On Friday 11 June 2004 11:11, squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> I had Gimp 2 up and running (from gimp-2.0.0-richard.1mdk.i586.rpm)  on
> Mandrake 10, which was installed as an update from Man 9.1. Installed
> Gimp 2.0 with no probs, but have since had to reformat.
> Installed Mandrake 10 as a fresh install, now am having probs getting
> Gimp 2 to install from same rpm. Keep getting
>
> "Installation failed, some files are missing:
>     /mnt/cdrom/gimp-2.0.0-richard.1mdk.i586.rpm
> You may want to update your urpmi database"
>
> Installed urpmi.setup to try and update, have no idea what I am doing,
> as it seems to want to update the 4 Mandrake install disks, which is not
> possible.
> Have tried copying rpm to hard drive and installing from there, same.
>
> Tried the rpm from Mandrake cooker site, and get this error message.
>
> "Some package requested cannot be installed:
> gimp2_0-2.0.1-1mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0)
> do you agree ?"
>
> As I am unsatisfied most of the time I had to agree :-)
> What is a  libgimpwidget?,  which ones do I need?, where would I get
> them?, and if I can get them, what do I do with them? (without being
> rude :-)  )  Sorry I am a rank beginner here.
>

> Any helpfull suggestions would be most gratefully accepted.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Take Care
> Winton

Have you considered just uninstalling Gimp, downloading Gimp from the web
site and installing it yourself?  This means stepping out of the world of
RPMs but that is not a fatal thing.  You can unzip and untar the
downloaded file with one command tar zxvf  (name of file.) Then follow the
instructions that come with.

Frequently it is easier to sidestep a complex problem as opposed to
debugging it in the entrails of the system.
--
John Culleton

Short list of publishing/marketing books: